QUESTIONS & CONSIDERATIONS FOR DROPPING A COURSE
1. What is the reason(s) for dropping the class?
• Course load (number of units for the semester / time demands from work and other activities)
• Success in the course
• Questioning or changing major / university elective
• Personal / health / family reasons
2. What point of the semester is it?
• Can the course be dropped with no record? With a withdraw (“W”) notation on the student’s transcript?
3. Is it possible to improve their grade in the course?
• Upon what criteria (tests / papers / assignments…) is the final grade based?
• What is the earned grade in the course so far?
• What graded assignments or exams are remaining?
• Will staying in the course impact the achievement in other classes for the semester?
4. What discussions have occurred with the instructor ?
5. What academic requirements and policies need to be considered?
• Is the course meeting a requirement for the Liberal Arts Core? Major? Minor/certificate? University elective?
• Are there specific grade requirements for the course with the major / minor / certificate?
• Is the course required (a pre-requisite) for a future class?
• When is the course offered next (“fall only” or a “spring only” course)?
• Is the course required for admissions into a major?
• What is the academic standing (academic alert or probation) of the student?
• Was this class taken previously (is it being repeated)?
• Will the Financial Aid Academic Progress policy (Satisfactory Academic Progress) be an issue?
6. Does minimum load requirements need to be met for…
• Health / auto insurance
• Athletic Eligibility
• Visa – International student
• Vocational Rehabilitation
• Veterans Benefits
7. What are the alternatives (if any) after dropping the course?
• Adding a 2nd half semester course?
• Change from graded to credit / no credit option?
• Guided Independent Study course (separate fee applies / does not count towards financial aid)?
• Completing a summer course at UNI or another institution?
• Ask the instructor for an “incomplete” if applicable?
• Complete a Student Request for appropriate reason(s)?